I know that there are a lot of people who post auctions from their main. Maybe you meant to create a bank alt but never got around to it. Maybe you just think it is easier to post from your main character. Maybe you just don't understand what the purpose of a bank alt is. If any of these sound like you I present you the top five reasons why you need to get a bank alt.
1) It makes it harder for your competition to track you.
- If you are a successful AHer in any market chances are that someone is spying on you. Someone has either added you to their friend list or looked you up on the Undermine Journal to see when you are on. If they are smart they can figure out roughly when you come home from school/work and go to sleep. With this information they can determine the best time to post their auctions so as to undercut you for the longest time possible. If, however, you post from a bank toon and keep the link between your main and your bank alt a secret (AKA you don't tell people the name of your bank toon) your competition can only figure out when you are on your bank toon. It becomes much harder for them to figure out at what hours you usually play Warcraft and when you go to work/sleep. By simply changing the times you post auctions slightly (such as switching between when you come home from work to just before you go to sleep) you can throw a lot of your competition off and lessen the chance that your auctions will be undercut as soon as you log off.
2) You don't have to worry as much about making accidental AH posts.
- Have you ever accidentally listed an item that wasn't meant to be listed? Just bought that nice epic sword you've been wanting, then accidentally listed it before you equipped it. Been saving up some dusts and essences to make some enchant scrolls - only to remember that you accidentally listed them on the AH last night at a discount? These things happen all the time. If you have a bank alt you don't need to worry about this. You always know that if it is in your bags it is good to be thrown on the AH to make some money.
3) Extra bag space
- Extra bags. Extra space in the bank for more bags. The ability to start a bank alt guild and gain access to the storage of a guild bank. Space is a valuable commodity and having a bank alt allows you to have more of it.
4) No need to visit the capital cities on your main.
- You can use an addon such as Trade Skill Master to automatically find and mail any crafting mats you need. If you need to have a crafting session simply open your mailbox to get the mats you have already bought from your bank alt. Once you are done crafting just send the items back to your bank alt in the mail and have them post your items to the AH. This leaves you free to park your main toon near your favorite dungeon, rare spawn, questing area, etc.
- Which toon had the Volatile Fire you needed to make Bloodied Leather Bracers? Where did you put all the silk cloth you said you would send to a friend? You won't need to use an addon or guess where your items are anymore. Just keep what you need for actually questing/raiding/pvping on your main and send everything else to your bank alt. That way you know where all of your goods are at all times.